Upcoming Events

Carr fires Newbridge into the top 3 of the LSL Senior 1   01/11/2016

LSL Senior 1

Newbridge Town FC 5

Glenville FC 0

The last time these two teams met was in Senior 2 years ago. Glenville took 6 points off Newbridge on their to promotion to the top division. A lot has changed in those two years. Glenville struggled to make any impact in the top flight while Newbridge Town had one of their most successful ever seasons which ended with them taking the Senior 1A title and place back in Senior 1.


Anyone looking at this game would find it hard to believe that two divisions separated them last season. From the off it was a competitive game with some very full blooded tackles. It was Newbridge who took the first chance of the game. Following some confusion in the Glenville defence which saw the defenders stop for what they thought was an off-side. However, the ref did not blow his whistle and the game continued and Kenny Carr added yet another goal and give the home side the perfect start.


Although the game was certainly competitive, there was little doubt that Newbridge had the better of the opening part of the game. They controlled possession very well as is normal in Station Road.  Playing with  a 4-4-2 which seems to be their most effective formation they looked very balanced and with Harmony Mercer and Kenny Carr playing well together, the Glenville defence had their work cut out. However, the home side did not have it all their own way as Glenville did look very dangerous on the break. Some good play from the visitors lead to a free kick about twenty yards from goal. A good free kick which  made Houghton work in the Newbridge goal as he tips it over for a corner.


Mick McDonnell then went into the refs book for a tackle on the edge of the box as Glenville were starting to exert a little more pressure. However, the visitors make nothing of it and Newbridge break quickly and put Glenville under pressure. This was very much the rhythm of the first half with the odd hard tackle thrown in for good measure.


Dave Riordan was having a particularly effective game in the middle alongside Mick McDonnell. In one move a good exchange betwee McDonnell and Riordan put Glenville on the back foot with a great pass releaseng Ethan O Neill. The danger was paused as the Newbridge man was pulled back resulting in a free kick and a yellow card. It would prove to be a very costly mistake by Glenville. Dave Riordan took the resulting free kick from the left hand side and swung in a very inviting cross. Harmony Mercer looked to the win the header but he was beaten by a defender who heads into his own goal. It was a super cross and there was not a lot the defender could do under such pressure from Mercer and facing his own goal.


The home defence as also looking in very good form and it was looking difficult for Glenville to create any chances. On one foray forward, great awareness and play from the David Lane and Andrew Toner cleared up what was a dangerous situation at the back and helped Newbridge launch another attack.

Up front the Glenville defence were finding it more and more difficult to deal with Kenny Carr. A great ball through from O Neill set Carr away for what looks like a one and one with the keeper but the linesman raised his flag for offside to the dismay of the home support. Perhaps it made up for the first goal when the flag was not seen by the ref.

The relief was short lived for the visitors. Another good move was started by Carr winning the ball in the Glenville box. Mark Boland moved it on to Mick McDonnell who fired a pass across the goal but Dave Riordan is blocked with his first attempt and first over from the rebound. Despite the pressure being exerted by the home team Glenville did look dangerous on the counter attack without ever really putting Houghton in the Newbridge goal under pressure.

There were also a number of stoppages for injuries in the first half. There was one break as both Houghton and Glenville forward clashed in the box. Luckily both were back up pretty quickly. There was another break as Harmony Mercer went down with an injury. This time it was more serious and Mercer had to be replaced by Gary Murphy. A further break in play came as Mark Boland is tackled in the middle and Newbridge put the ball out. Luckily Boland is back up and play is on again after a short delay

As the first half moved towards a conclusion, Kenny Carr broke away and a lovely reverse pass found Mick McDonnell who brought a save out of the Glenville keeper.  The some great play from Gary Murphy on the right beats three defenders before putting in super cross which is just too high for Mark. Glenville then move play back to the other end and they have a throw on the left hand side of the Newbridge box which ends with a corner which is cleared by Big Mick but he is injured. Luckily it is not serious and he is back up.

In the final moments of the first half the tension boiled over. The ref did not see what happened but he has consulted with the linesman and it ends with a yellow for Town’s Dave O Riordan. Without much further play the half is brought to an end with the home side two goals up. While there may have been something a little questionable about the first goal there is no doubt that Newbridge were the better side and deserve to be ahead at the break


The second half like much of the first with the home side putting Glenville under pressure. Just as in the first half the home side took an early goal. This time it was Ethan O Neill who added the third to put the home side 3-0 up. Minutes later Andrew Toner came close to making it four but the keeper made a great save in a one on one. Like some of the first half, the game began to get a little rough again and there have been some very tough tackles but no cards so far in the second half.


Then against the run of play Glenville almost get on the scoresheet and only the woodwork prevents houghton losing his clean sheet. However, it is the home side who are back on the attack quickly. Another tough tackle this time on Kenny leads to a free on the edge of the box. From the resulting play another tackle leads to a free in the centre and about ten yards outside the box.

O Neill takes the free kick which is saved by the keeper but Carr turns the rebound into the net for 4-0. Shorly afterwards Michael Oladupocomes on for his Newbridge debut as he replaces Ethan O Neill and from his first moment on the pitch he looks to get involved. He shows great enthusiasm in his first exchange to win first the ball and then a free kick.


With he result of the game well beyond doubt at this stage, there have also been a lot of stopages which took some of the sting out of what remained of the game. Following another stopage, the game restarts with Newbridge on the attack. A good ball from Murphy almost puts Kenny away but Glenville defend it well. Glenville then break forward but a super tackle from David Lane sees him come away with the ball and set the home team away on another attack.


Newbridge break yet again with Carr through on the right hand side but his pass is just a little behind Murphy who shoots into the keepers hands. Moments later, great pressure from Dave O Riordan sees him win the ball in the Glenville half and only last gasp defending stops Newbridge going 5 up. But, it is only a matter of time before the home side score again. With the last move of the game Murphy slides a wonderful place through for Carr who runs on to slide the ball into the bottom right hadn't corner of the goal. It’s three for Carr and five for Newbridge.


A good performance from the home side and three big points sees the move into second position behind Portmarnock and just ahead of Home Farm.


Newbridge Town

Seamus Houghton, Andrew Toner, David Lane, Damien Coogan, Mick McLoughlin, Ethan O’ Neill, David O Riordan, Mick McDonnell, Kenny Carr, Harmony Mercer, Mark Boland: subs, Gary Murphy, Michael Oladupo

Featured Videos

Shamrock Rovers v Newbridge Town...
view all clips

Opening Ceremony 1985 new pitch...
view all clips

toe taps
view all clips